Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Why does it always rain on me? Always always...

So... That's a lot of rain...

The past two days must have been one of the rainiest periods in recent Singapore history, and I got to experience it first-hand, which was fun except that it had to be in base on Christmas Day. An ok experience overall. It's still raining though.

In my long ago days of youth I used to sit within my warm and cozy house while the rain poured outside. During times like those I would sigh and wish that it would rain like this at least once every three days. Then I started reading newspapers and enlisting into an army, and now I know that means soil erosion for farmers in Indonesia, flooded shops in Thomson Road, and very unhappy days for BMTers and Recce'ers all around the country. Perspective is a wonderful ?perspective?

One 7676 Sunday a few months back, I read an article in church about unanswered prayer at what felt like a timely occasion(S?). It raised a lot of (what I felt were) good points about whether what we want is what we need, whether or not it is good for us at that particular time or if ever, whether it is beneficial to us in the long running process of maturing, or if what we want infringes on the needs of others, or competes with what others want. At the time, it put a lot of things into perspective for me regarding the things that I wanted to have, and I guess I felt a lot better at the end of the day though it didn't help me stop Feeling that I wanted.. what I wanted.

Hopefully the rain is doing something good for somebody out there. Maybe there's a cropfield in the middle of a drought that needs flooding. Maybe there's a pair of unlikely lovers who got stranded on a plateau somewhere and the rain is a cliched prelude to the next... The Island movie. Maybe the flowers will bloom more beautifully at the end of the storm. Maybe there's some guy going for a Guinness record for abstaining from bathing, and he just got hit by the rain, much to his chagrin and to the relief of whoever is still willing to associate themselves with him... And hopefully there'll be a 2 day rainbow for a 2 day downpour. Hopefully.

Why doesn't it always rain on me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home