Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Golden Compass, The Golden Pillow

Yesterday, I broke one of my own cardinal rules by going with Kader to eat at X sushi place. Drawn in by the cheap buffet prices, we sat down and started eating. 4 plates later, we realized that there was no raw fish sushi on the conveyor belt, and we feared that this was the reason for the cheap prices. It was only at this point that we mustered up the indignation to ask the waiter about it... We were told that you simply had to ask for it from the menu. The raw fish was not put on the belt in order to preserve the freshness. A logical idea. Little did we know that worse things were in store for us...

After the meal, we resolved to never eat at X sushi place again, what with its mutilated tuna sushi (with thin red 'things' inside it), or its slimy cuttlefish sushi... The only nice thing about the place was the waiter. =/

Kader has observed that I have become rather more petty and prone to anger this year. Undeniably it is true. In moderation, I think it can only be called a positive character development, but perhaps I am a little past that line... It's people. Just a select few people. And perhaps also the bi-weekly challenges I face in cell group.. haha.

We met with Jevon and watched the Golden Compass; I suppose it is undeniable that the story has something to say for atheism. I haven't read Pullman's books yet, so it'd be entirely unfair and silly to base all my thoughts from scenes in a movie (although I'd be somewhat disturbed if Lyra really turns out to be his atheist poster child). Somehow though, I've come across a couple of books on atheism recently.

Still, if there is anything in the movie that unites movie-goers (whatever your religion may be), its watching a giant armoured polar bear HEADBUTT a man to death... Or a giant polar bear slapping the jaw off another polar bear. And Nicole Kidman.

X: I'm glad we left the place when we did. I was really emitting alot of gaseous substances nearing the end.

B: I couldn't smell any of them, but ignorance is bliss, right? An atheist wouldn't think that, though. He'd want to suck it all in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home