Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Scrambled and scrambling.

I got a pair of new pens today. They're really great to write with and easy on the fingers too. The ink inside is white and milky in color though, so I guess it mixed with something in the bottom half of the pen. Paul's fountain pen is still really nice to write with, though. When it's used on good paper, the effect is gorgeous. Still, it would cost $75 to import. Hmmm.

Learning french and soci at the same time is killing my ability to write and speak the english language. My spelling and grammar usage are beginning to sink to the level of... somebody. You know who you are. That's right. I'm a hypocrite who has made the same mistakes. Some of the soci readings we do are spawned by some of the laziest and self-indulgent writers I've ever seen, people who write in a round-about, indirect way and invent pointless words. Instead of saying contentions, one writer decided to forgo the checking the dictionary to come up with 'contestations'. WTF. It's 'mind-meltingly' bad.

Candidate candidate candidate contentions candidate contentions cue composure composition command commence commend commentary compensation certify can cannot crucible crew crack cringe curry correlate cause cling clam clamp cram cramp contentions controvery concurrent current cropped care cream carrot corn corny cake cure curator course concern

In spite of all that, things have been going well for me in school. I did pretty well for the HS102 presentation and for the test (comparatively). HW101 isn't giving any problems and the French test went well too. I've met plenty of nice people and made new friends too :) hall life with Kei has been harmonious for the most part. Haha. I'm still acutely aware that it is not NUS FASS, and that it stumps people somewhat when they ask me what I'm studying in NTU :( but I'm finding so far that it's been nothing but God's blessing that I could get a place here.

I cannot discern if our teachers and program are truly effective compared to the many other places that teach sociology in the world. I can say that I think they're a great bunch on the whole, with some standing out as either very knowledgeable or very motivated and invested in their teaching. Of course, there is one lecturer who is the exception to this. Haha. On the other hand, they're still only half the equation. The other half is my own attitude towards learning. I still have much to figure out in terms of direction, because although I can relate to, and enjoy what I'm learning, I still don't know where it will take me. I do roughly know what I want to do in future though, I think.

Still, though I'm rather comfortable here at this point in time, I guess I still have to think about whether this is where I should be. My mom always reminds me to not be so limited in my thinking, and I have often been guilty getting too attached to my immediate environment. Hmmm. The world is a big place, and I've only explored 0.00001% of the world map, too. Haha. It's not good to always conform to one standard, narrow build of life. Lol. It's been too long since I last played DOTA.

Note to self: Make the socio. path chart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home