Fool me once, shame on you
After an endless stream of double entendres, my roomie is finally about to take the cake (abuse of slang) and eat the banana. I hope he doesn't get too grouchy about it. Haha.
I've gotten some fresh perspective, and what I said to someone about respecting her senior's advice comes back to me. When I'm finally through all my doubting and questioning, I find I still have plenty of people around me whom I can trust and talk to. And yet now, I realize it can never be quite the same as it was in the past, both in terms of the feelings I experienced (or is this just nostalgia talking) or the ways in which I approached friendships. I can't afford, and neither do I feel particularly inclined to stick to one close group of friends and ignore the outside world like I did in Secondary and JC. University life is just so different, and the people in it are so diverse, that I just can't do things the same way. And perhaps, having found those friendships since then has helped a part of me to grow, and I no longer need more of that kind of relationship as much as I used to.
We never stop learning new things about one another. Is it enough to say that it'll be alright if you do something in faith? Or I am supposed to learn that the road to hell is paved with good intentions? Wan Ling told me the insulating layers of my ignorant bliss were peeling off, and I wonder if I can deal with what comes maturely and wisely. I wish I could make the right decisions, all the time, especially when it comes to all this. Things will work out. That's the only thing I can believe in. At least I know for sure I got the cake flavor right. Haha.
I might've said, back then, that I was happy just living with my friends, for my friends. But it's not enough. I daresay, even if I should chance upon an adoring, shapely, compatible female, it still wouldn't be enough. Nothing changes till I change.
Gonna come back from this weekend healthier and more well-equipped to deal with the open mockery and the relentless jackassery. You can't clown around forever.
If I could take just one sentence away from Rob Bell's sermon, it would be:
"Every minute action is a spiritual act."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Past list of blog names:
Dignified Catharsis: An Open Diary with no Agenda!
Dignified Catharsis: Monologue Without End!
I've gotten some fresh perspective, and what I said to someone about respecting her senior's advice comes back to me. When I'm finally through all my doubting and questioning, I find I still have plenty of people around me whom I can trust and talk to. And yet now, I realize it can never be quite the same as it was in the past, both in terms of the feelings I experienced (or is this just nostalgia talking) or the ways in which I approached friendships. I can't afford, and neither do I feel particularly inclined to stick to one close group of friends and ignore the outside world like I did in Secondary and JC. University life is just so different, and the people in it are so diverse, that I just can't do things the same way. And perhaps, having found those friendships since then has helped a part of me to grow, and I no longer need more of that kind of relationship as much as I used to.
We never stop learning new things about one another. Is it enough to say that it'll be alright if you do something in faith? Or I am supposed to learn that the road to hell is paved with good intentions? Wan Ling told me the insulating layers of my ignorant bliss were peeling off, and I wonder if I can deal with what comes maturely and wisely. I wish I could make the right decisions, all the time, especially when it comes to all this. Things will work out. That's the only thing I can believe in. At least I know for sure I got the cake flavor right. Haha.
I might've said, back then, that I was happy just living with my friends, for my friends. But it's not enough. I daresay, even if I should chance upon an adoring, shapely, compatible female, it still wouldn't be enough. Nothing changes till I change.
Gonna come back from this weekend healthier and more well-equipped to deal with the open mockery and the relentless jackassery. You can't clown around forever.
If I could take just one sentence away from Rob Bell's sermon, it would be:
"Every minute action is a spiritual act."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Past list of blog names:
Dignified Catharsis: An Open Diary with no Agenda!
Dignified Catharsis: Monologue Without End!

1 Comments:
Part of growing up is learning when to change as well as when to hold on to what makes you who you are.
We are all good at something, music, games, poetry... But eventually we figure out that the life skills that we have ignored for so long are the most important set of skills we need to know. Taking care of ourselves, making decisions and dealing with responsibilities, no one is born talented in these, we all learn through experience and making our own mistakes.
Yet, ultimately, when we meet friends of old, we have this nostalgic feeling that we want to preserve. A memory of older, simpler times... and the trust that no matter how others judge us, we will still have a core of friends to watch our backs.
So by all means change... but never forget who you are.
Post a Comment
<< Home